REACH School - Baltimore, MDPosition Type
Civic Works strengthens Baltimore's communities through education, skills development, and community service. Civic Works goals are to Build Brighter Futures through education, job training, grow Healthy Food and Green Communities, and create Safe and Affordable Housing.Program Mission and/or Goals:
REACH! Partnership is an innovative, college -focused transformation school for Baltimore City high school students operated by Civic Works/Arnericorps. The school is unique in its ability to effectively partner with not only educators, but also with businesses, corporations and community groups to create authentic learning opportunities for its student body. In addition to providing an academically rigorous curriculum, REACH! provides students with opportunities to learn marketable skills in construction and health care profession. Key partners include John Hopkins Health Systems, Associated Builders and Contractors, Baltimore City Community College.
- 400 students will start in the tutoring program and 350 students will complete
- Students will demonstrate improved academic engagement.
REACH! provides students with opportunities to learn marketable skills in construction and health care profession. Civic Works' Americorps members serve as advocates at REACH! supporting success and a positive learning experience.Community Need:
This AmeriCorps position will serve under the National Focus of Education, tutoring Baltimore City students at REACH! Partnership High School.
Baltimore City students need additional tutoring and mentoring during in-school, after-school, and summer programing in order to improve academic engagement. According to the Baltimore City Reach Partnership for school year 2015/16 the graduation rate was 90%, for the school year 2016/17 the graduation rate increased to 93%. The attendance rate for high school students was only 70%, a 2% decrease compared to last school year. The college acceptance rate for the school year of 2021/22 for a two year college was 34%, and for a four year college was only 36%. Graduating students who applied for Financial Aid and Scholarships received over 1 million dollars. Member Position Summary:
REACH! Partnership is an innovative, college-focused transformation school for Baltimore City high school students operated by Civic Works. The school is unique in its ability to effectively partner with not only educators, but also with businesses, corporations and community groups to create authentic learning opportunities for its student body. In addition to providing an academically rigorous curriculum, REACH! Partnership provides students with opportunities to learn marketable skills in construction and health care professions. Key partners include John Hopkins Health Systems, Associated Builders Contractors, Baltimore Metro Chapter (ABC), Coldstream Homestead Montebello Community (CHM), and Baltimore City Community College.
QualificationsNecessary Training or Training Plan to be implemented prior to Member Placement:
- Restorative Practice
- Community Mediation
- CPR/First Aide
- Classroom Management
- Diversity and Privilege
This Americorps position will help Baltimore City students find, the K-12 success. By serving as a REACH! Advocate, the member will contribute to the following impacts.
Experience working with youth preferredEssential Functions of Position:
Desired Skills and Education:
- Support students and teachers in a classroom setting
- Support student success academically
- Serve as a student mediator; execute conflict resolution skills
- Serve as a student mentor
- Support in planning and execution of school-wide events
- Maintain required training certifications, including CPR/First Aide and Conflict Resolution
- Participate in school based and organization wide service projects
- Must be 25 years of age or older
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident
- Must pass a criminal and sex offender background check, and be able to pass a drug screening
- Ability to follow instructions and serve cooperatively with other Team Members, Staff, and Administrators
- Completion of at least 2 semesters of college coursework, with an interest in education, human services, social work, business, or any other similar major, preferred
- Must be able to use and have access to the internet
- Ability to serve independently and with a team
- Possess excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and be self- motivated