AVP, Executive Underwriter, Life Sciences
Zurich is currently hiring an experienced Senior Life Sciences Underwriter to join the Middle Market team in California (LA, San Francisco, San Diego or remote within the state of CA). Location flexible within the West.
Middle Markets is a key business segment within Zurich North America and we are focused on attracting top customer advocates who possess a sales mindset, strong technical underwriting skills and solution focused problem solving abilities. Zurich Middle Markets offers end to end solutions for our customers, inclusive of international programs.
Life Sciences is Zurichs new Industry Practice so this is an exciting opportunity to have hands-on involvement from the beginning. Initially you will be involved in assisting in the development of coverage forms, underwriting guidelines and training material and the go to market strategy. Once launched you will handle complex new and renewal Middle Markets business and serve as a Subject Matter Expert for Middle Markets Life Science.
As a member of Zurich's Underwriting Team, you will enjoy the opportunity to fully apply and hone your underwriting and marketing skills while building relationships with our Preferred Distribution Partners within your area and grow your long-term career. This is an exciting time to join Middle Markets at Zurich!
This role will be filled at either the Senior (Level III) or AVP, Senior Executive (Level IV). The hiring manager will determine the appropriate level based upon the selected applicants experience and skillset relative to the qualifications listed for this position.
- Serving as a Life Science industry practice advocate with a focus on improving the customer experience by understanding their risk and offering the best end to end solution for their insurance needs.
- Using a disciplined approach to exposure evaluation, risk assessment and pricing
- Using risk insights, data and models to drive informed decisions at point of sale
- Assisting in the development of underwriting guidelines for life science exposures
- Assisting in the development and provision of training and education material for life science underwriting
- Identifying gaps involves and aligning Zurichs products and value proposition to offer a solution that provides the contract certainty the customer needs
- Demonstrating strong analytical skills and executing as an innovative advisor
- Underwriting, analyzing and generating new and renewal business for Life Science risks
- Demonstrating strong coverage analysis skills and understanding and ability to communicate life science defenses and exposure analysis for product liability
- Market facing and production within the growing Middle Markets division
- Collaborating with multiple groups within Zurich to build knowledge and understanding of life science exposures, controls, market requirements, and opportunities
- Administering and monitoring underwriting rules and guidelines, insurance laws and regulations and rating manual rules
- Developing and maintaining agency and broker relationships
- Working within broad limits and authorities on highly complex assignments
Senior Middle Markets Underwriter (Level III) Basic Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 5 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Brokerage or Market Facing areaOR
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 10 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support areaOR
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 3 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing areaOR
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 8 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support area AND
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Experience working on time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
- Experience working in a team environment
AVP, Middle Markets Underwriter (Level IV) Basic Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 7 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area.OR
- High School Diploma or Equivalent and 14 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support areaOR
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 5 or more years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing areaOR
- Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree and 12 or more years of experience in the Claims or Underwriting Support areaAND
- Experience with Microsoft Office
Preferred Qualifications Level III & IV:
- In-depth experience underwriting Life Science product liability on a primary and excess basis
- In-depth experience underwriting Life Science property
- Existing broker relationships in West Coast region
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong relationship building, active listening, needs analysis, and win-win negotiating skills. Demonstrates presentation skills and a solutions and service orientation
- Knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, national/local filing regulations and guidelines
- Surplus Lines license for CA would be a plus
- Bachelors Degree
As a condition of employment at Zurich, employees must adhere to any COVID-related health and safety protocols in place at that time ( ).
A future with Zurich. What can go right when you apply at Zurich?
Now is the time to move forward and make a difference. At Zurich, we want you to share your unique perspectives, experiences and ideas so we can grow and drive sustainable change together. As part of a leading global organization, Zurich North America has over 150 years of experience managing risk and supporting resilience. Today, Zurich North America is a leading provider of commercial property-casualty insurance solutions and a wide range of risk management products and services for businesses and individuals. We serve more than 25 industries, from agriculture to technology, and we insure 90% of the Fortune 500. Our growth strategy is not limited to our business. As an employer, we strive to provide ongoing career development opportunities, and we foster an environment where voices are diverse, behaviors are inclusive, actions drive equity, and our people feel a sense of belonging. Be a part of the next evolution of the insurance industry. Join us in building a brighter future for our colleagues, our customers and the communities we serve. Zurich maintains a comprehensive employee benefits package for employees as well as eligible dependents and competitive compensation. Please clickhere () to learn more.
As a global company, Zurich recognizes the diversity of our workforce as an asset. We recruit talented people from a variety of backgrounds with unique perspectives that are truly welcome here. Taken together, diversity and inclusion bring us closer to our common goal: exceeding our customers expectations. Zurich does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status. EOE disability/vet
Zurich does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Zurich American Insurance. If you are a preferred vendor, please use our Recruiting Agency Portal for resume submission.
Location(s): AM - Los Angeles, AM - San Francisco, AM - Woodland Hills, AM - California Virtual Office, AM - Fresno, AM - Irvine, AM - Phoenix, AM - San Diego, AM - Pasadena, AM - Orange County
Remote Working: Hybrid
Schedule: Full Time
Linkedin Recruiter Tag: