VCU Procurement Services has an exciting opportunity for a Category Manager to join our team!
At Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU), we celebrate research, creativity, service and discovery - the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It's a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.Summary
The Category Manager has an important role in Procurement Services and will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Support the day-to-day administration of contracts for IT hardware, software, consulting, training, and other IT-related purchases.
- Participate in developing, reviewing, and editing Statements of Work; negotiating contract terms and conditions.
- Develop and administer various procurements, including Request for Proposals (RFP), Invitation for Bids (IFB), Sole Source, and Emergency procurements, as well as, developing reliable sources of supply for user departments, conducting market research, and reviewing requirements.
- Manage procurement and contracting actions to leverage university spend and drive down costs in accordance with University, state and/or grant-related procurement and contracting rules, policies, procedures, guidelines, and best practices.
- Act as an agent of the University within delegated limits and modifying contracts.
- Identify and assertively facilitating small, woman, and minority-owned business (SWaM) participation and sustainable procurement and contracting initiatives.
- Mentor/coach or supervise one or more buyers.
- Effectively interact with user departments, produce proactive strategic procurement plans, and serve as procurement and contracting expert to assigned spend categories.
- Recommend enhancements to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness within the department.
- Knowledge of progressive procurement methods, terminology, and principles.
- Knowledge of current market trends and sources for assigned categories of spend.
- Organizational skills to independently and effectively manage a large volume of complex assignments with minimal guidance.
- Ability to make effective decisions that resolve complicated issues.
- Strong ability to effectively use technology.
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Progressive procurement, strategic sourcing, and/or contracting experience.
- Ability to work in a diverse environment.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, IT-related fields, or related disciplines/training.
- Several years of procurement experience (preferably public - e.g., CUPO, CPPO, etc.) or equivalent experience/training (e.g., Supply Chain Management and Analytics).
- Knowledge of electronic purchasing applications for requisition and Purchase Order processing (e.g., Jaggaer).
- Advanced level negotiating skills: Pricing, Terms and conditions, Early Payment Discounts and other payment terms, Payment Methods, etc.
- Skilled in delivering high-quality services assuring customer satisfaction within an IT community.
- Strong spend analytic experience.
VCU recognizes that remote work and flexible work arrangements (FWAs) are an important part of employees' work/life balance and provide employees with the flexibility to be successful on and off of the VCU campus. This position is considered hybrid and the incumbent will be able to work remotely 3 days per week, if desired.Salary Range:
Commensurate with experience.Department:
UF - University Employee FTRestricted Status:
ExemptUniversity Job Title:
Category Manager 1-3ORP Eligible: