We are recruiting for a Charge Nurse-Preop/Pacu to join our team!
We are here for life's journey.
Where is your life journey taking you?
Being the heartbeat of Denver means our heart reflects something bigger than ourselves, something that connects us all:
Humanity in action, Triumph in hardship, Transformation in health.
2B Main PACU
Pre-Operative/Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) houses 20 pre-operative (pre-op) bays and 17 PACU bays on Denver Health's main campus, as well as 14 pre-op and 14 PACU bays in our Outpatient Surgery Center. This is a fast-paced department, and we pride ourselves on excellent nursing care during the pre- and post-operative period in the perioperative process. Our nurses care for a wide variety of patients from pediatric to geriatric, and same day surgery to surgical intensive care. In addition to our 16 operating rooms, our team also prepares and recovers patients from our gastrointestinal, Cardiac Catherization Lab, interventional radiology, bronchoscopy, and Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) procedural areas as well as being a back-up for labor and delivery C-sections. Pre-op nurse-to-patient ratio is 1:3 and PACU nurse-to patient ratio is 1:2.Job Summary
The Charge Nurse, with minimal direction, supervises nursing and support staff in an inpatient unit, specialty clinic, or treatment programs in various patient care settings. The Charge Nurse, adheres to the American Nurses Association (ANA) standards of professional nursing and performance, and the ANA Code of Ethics (2015) to provide care to all patients. Applies critical thinking, evidence-based policies, procedures, guidelines and competence to collaborate with the health care team to promote excellence in patient safety and quality outcomes. Utilizes the Theory of Human Caring and Caritas in daily practice. "Jean Watson, PhD, RN, AHN-BC, FAAN, Founder / Director, Watson Caring Science Institute." Essential Functions
- Operations Management Oversee department/unit for assigned shift employing clinical and managerial skills to care for patients while also providing guidance and leadership to other nurses who are working with patients including but not limited to preparing daily staffing assignments, mentoring staff, evaluating performance, facilitating patient flow, admissions, and discharges. (40%)
- Patient Assessment Assess the needs of individuals, families and/or communities to identify potential health or safety problems, Instruct individuals and families on health education and disease prevention and after care (20%)
- Treatment and Evaluation Consult and coordinate with health care team members to assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient care. Monitor all aspects of patient care, including diet and physical activity, develop and modify patient care plans as indicated by patient's responses and conditions. Prepare patients for, and assist with examinations and treatments (20%)
- Medication administration, documentation and reassessment (10%)
- Monitor, record and report symptoms and changes in patient's condition and vital signs (10%)
- Associate's Degree Required
- 1-3 years Professional nursing experience in a patient care setting. Required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- RN-Registered Nurse - DORA - Department of Regulatory Agencies Required
- Adherence to Standards of Professional Nursing Practice/ Process / Performance ANA Standards addendum- signed and accrediting body standards.
- Strong understanding and display of the principals of customer service as it applies to patients, staff and the community
- Ability to assist in identifying ways to promote quality patient-centric care and maintain Denver Health's high level of patient satisfaction. Nursing Vision Statement
- Ability to work effectively in a team matrix environment. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively at all levels and in a cross functional environment.
- Ability to work closely with multidisciplinary staff, charge nurses, clinical nurse educator(s), and Nursing Managers, providers executive leadership to provide care to patients with respect to their uniqueness using informed judgment, competence, individual qualifications, and collaboration with the health care team.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of assessment findings as they relate to the disease process and continuum of care.
- Proficient in EHR
- Basic Office Suite skills preferred
Days (United States of America)
$37.40 - $61.07 / hr
Outstanding benefits including up to 27 paid days off per year, immediate retirement plan employer contribution up to 9.5%, and generous medical plans
Free RTD EcoPass (public transportation)
On-site employee fitness center and wellness classes
Childcare discount programs & exclusive perks on large brands, travel, and more
Tuition reimbursement & assistance
Education & development opportunities including career pathways and coaching
Professional clinical advancement program & shared governance
Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) eligible employer+ free student loan coaching and assistance navigating the PSLF program
National Health Service Corps (NHCS) and Colorado Health Service Corps (CHSC) eligible employer
All job applicants for safety-sensitive positions must pass a pre-employment drug test, once a conditional offer of employment has been made.
Denver Health is an integrated, high-quality academic health care system considered a model for the nation that includes a Level I Trauma Center, a 555-bed acute care medical center, Denver's 911 emergency medical response system, 10 family health centers, 19 school-based health centers, Rocky Mountain Poison & Drug Safety, a Public Health Institute, an HMO and The Denver Health Foundation.
As Colorado's primary, and essential, safety-net institution, Denver Health is a mission-driven organization that has provided billions in uncompensated care for the uninsured. Denver Health is viewed as an Anchor Institution for the community, focusing on hiring and purchasing locally as applicable, serving as a pillar for community needs, and caring for more than 185,000 individuals and 67,000 children a year.
Located near downtown Denver, Denver Health is just minutes away from many of the cultural and recreational activities Denver has to offer.
We strongly support diversity in the workforce and Denver Health is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
Denver Health values the unique ideas, talents and contributions reflective of the needs of our community. For more about our commitment to diversity visit: