Support the Engineering Design group to provide engineering services throughout Region Americas for new capital projects, including: conducting site surveys, development of engineering solutions, cost estimation, scheduling, Capital Asset Request (CAR) preparation, as well as assisting with management of projects, design firms and contractors. Work closely with local sales and service managers to support customer inquiries or complaints regarding the unloading, transfer and storage of both wet and dry products.
- Strong Safety focus that aligns with Omya and MSHA requirements for plant design, operations, maintenance, contractor management and construction practices.
- Survey potential plant sites, both within Omya and at customer locations for new facilities as requested. (This may include: research into available utilities, required space assessment and constraint evaluation.)
- Manage and/or support all aspects of the design process for large expansions and green-field projects within Region Americas that are safe and environmentally compliant meeting all local and national standards; utilizing internal and external resources to ensure proposed solutions meet Omya's internal specifications.
- Manage and/or support the design for project site layout, general process arrangement, development of specifications and equipment technical review.
- Utilize AutoCAD, and Visio, to develop Process flow diagrams, P&IDs, and equipment general arrangement drawings as required.
- Prepare equipment sizing calculations, specifications, bid documents, and technical evaluations for procurement of project equipment.
- Review drawings and submittals received from vendors, contractors and consultants to ensure compliance with design objectives and/or contract documents.
- Develop project baselines including: scope, cost estimates, schedules, resource planning and communication plans.
- Support the project management team by utilizing Omya project management systems (PMS) to implement capital projects.
- Prepare Capital Asset Requests in conjunction with plant and divisional personnel.
- Manage and/or support the coordination of all engineering and procurement resources, construction supervision and on-site contractors to ensure project completion in alignment with schedule baseline.
- Assist in start‑up and commissioning of new process systems as necessary.
- Participate in project closeout and lessons learned activities for each project.
- Support the plants and competence centers by participating in process audits and providing technical support.
- Work closely with local sales and service managers as the lead responder and call on customers for customer inquiries or complaints on unloading, transfer and storage of both wet and dry products. Assess the specific situations and propose solutions that satisfy the goals of both Omya and its customers.
- Perform other duties as required by supervisor.
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Civil, Chemical or related engineering field.
4 - 7 years of project or design experience in operations and/or an engineering field, preferably with mineral processing or related heavy industry is required. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience with relevant project work would also be considered.
Experience with, and a solid understanding of engineering fundamentals are required; knowledge of various mineral processing stages, equipment and product handling systems to include: tanks, silos, pumping systems, pneumatic and mechanical transfer systems as well as metering and control devices is beneficial. Ability to work in both metric and English systems.
Leadership and effective communication skills as well as the ability to work effectively within a team at all levels of the organization are essential, often under pressure and deadlines. Strong skills in AutoCAD, Visio, Microsoft Project, Word, Excel and other related software are required.
Must be willing to travel frequently, and occasionally for extended periods, across North and South America up to 30%.
Fluency in English is required, and Spanish or Portuguese is beneficial but not required.
Must possess current US employment authorization; sponsorship not available for this position.