Forbes believes in the power of entrepreneurial capitalism and uses it on various platforms to ignite the conversations that drive systemic change in business, culture and society. We celebrate success and are committed to using our megaphone to drive diversity, equity and inclusion.
Forbes is growing its Explainers and Trends desk. The ideal candidate should be a news obsessive with a passion for going deeper to first understand, and then explain, the big issues of the day. The challenge for this desk is to think creatively about current events and find interesting ways to explain them in clear, definitive ways. Some pieces will require original reporting, while others will require targeted research. Many ideas will be driven by news of the day and an informed understanding of what people want to know. Others will be from reports about what Forbes readers are most interested in reading. Some story decisions will be trend-driven, but others will be from good editorial instincts, anticipating what people want to know.
Top candidates are generalists who can write about anything, though specific area expertise specific to Forbes (business, finance, entrepreneurship, technology) will be a major plus.
This is a contract position with potential for full time employment.Responsibilities
- Identify topics for explainers off of news stories that make sense for a Forbes reader.
- Ability to write efficiently and authoritatively, able to identify appropriate, expert sourcing for a story.
- Track down sources quickly for information when necessary.
- Strong research skills (ability to skim popular news sources quickly, as well as background with Nexis).
- Strong headline writing skills, and comfort with any/all social media platforms.
- Strong interest in and basic knowledge of business news and financial coverage.
- Familiarity with Search trends.
The hourly rate for this role is $28.85-$28.85.
- 2+ years' experience as a full-time writer or editor.
- Past job in an editorial newsroom (or like) workplace.
- Proven ability at writing quickly and accurately.
- Outstanding writing, grammar and editing abilities.
- An instinct and enthusiasm for identifying newsworthy, as well as shareable, stories and topics that resonate with the target audience
- Understanding of the latest content trends and technologies, including content management systems like Wordpress, Social Media and SEO best practices
Forbes has estimated the compensation range set forth above in good faith. The compensation range is what we believe we will offer, and ultimately pay, a successful candidate. In determining this range, we consider the experience, level of education (if applicable to the role), knowledge, skills, and abilities required to be had by a successful candidate as well as the budget and the company's pay rates, generally. This said, we may have to make changes to our compensation estimates and job descriptions from time to time and we expressly reserve the right to do so. Should we make any such changes, this advertisement will be revised to reflect such revisions. We encourage you to occasionally re-visit this advertisement to ensure that you are abreast of any changes.
Forbes aims to offer employees the flexibility they need in order to be successful. We offer a hybrid work schedule for our employees. Some roles may be remote (within the U.S.) if it aligns to the needs of the position. Any employee entering the Forbes office for business or social reasons will need to present proof of full vaccination, unless eligible for a medical or religious accommodation or other accommodation required under applicable law.
Forbes is an equal opportunity employer.
Staff and Applicant Privacy Notice